Saturday, March 21, 2009

Cannibal Holocaust

Reaction Paper

Cannibal Holocaust

Having seen the film for the first time, I can say that it is the most seriously disturbing, shocking, horrific and grotesque film I’ve ever seen in my entire life!


But despite its being a very gory movie, I learned a lot of things out from it. To be honest, I never knew there were ethnic tribes living in some parts of South America! By the way, what I mean by ethnic is like the indigenous people here in the Philippines like the Aetas for example. I really had no idea not until I saw this film, although Aetas are not cannibals, of course. And as a witness to numerous acts of actual animal cruelty and violence, I am deeply saddened notably the three-foot long turtle that was horrendously killed. I almost cried because of that.

Moving on, I also learned that the primitive sexual punishment is appallingly dreadful! While watching the film, I can just feel the gastric contents of my stomach trying to propel itself to my esophagus waiting to be excreted and vomited! And the same goes for many of my classmates too, most especially the females. The expressions on their faces while seeing disgusting things was truly a sight worth noticing because I realized that there are really people who have very faint hearts and react easily to scenes or things that I myself don’t find that offensive like the death scenes of the four documenters, and the sex scene.

Although the story is just fictional, it’s still a very brilliant movie because it gives viewers the knowledge about societies considered as savages in the world. Moreover, it is a fine material to include in Anthropology classes because it shows how the fields of anthropology are in action.

No comments: